A global multi-billion dollar manufacturer of retail goods had a contracts process running on an AS400 legacy system. The process pulled contract information from the source system and populated a contract fact table. The contract fact table in the ODS then populated the Client’s GDW, and the process completed with “renewal” reporting.
Three of their largest markets had been migrated from their legacy system over to their new Oracle EBS Service Contracts system, leaving approximately 70 additional markets to migrate. Unfortunately, the legacy contracts process that fed the GDW was not in place for the new system’s contracts, so as markets migrated, their GDW information became invalid.
- Integrate contracts from both the new and legacy source systems in the ODS table that feeds the GDW
- Ensure that the GDW picks up the new contracts, modifying code as necessary
- Standardize the processes and infrastructure on current standards applied across all new development, applying to both the new and legacy contract processes
- Execute the project while minimizing the impact to in-house staff, who were working at capacity with little time to dedicate to our project
Each of the scope items were performed and delivered in accordance with the developed and agreed-upon design documents. In completing the project, Aptude took the following steps:
- 1. Analyzed the existing system and documented the requirements to:
- Reorganize specified tables within the data layers, meeting current standards
- Modify the legacy system as needed to meet current standards and centralize common processes
- Combine new contracts with the legacy contracts in the Tier 2 ODS contract fact table
- 2. Reorganized the contract tables within the data layers to meet current standards.
- 3. Extracted common processes from the legacy system and place them in the process where they can be leveraged for both legacy and new contract processing.
- 4. Updated current legacy system artifacts to reflect changes in the process.
- 5. Developed interfaces to move data from the legacy source system to the Atomic data layer as well as combining that contract data with the legacy contract data in the Tier 2 ODS fact table.
Oracle Data Integrator 11g
View a downloadable version of this ODI Case Study.
Learn about Aptude's ODI Consulting Services!